Thursday, May 23, 2013

Kindle Worlds has been announced

A couple of posts ago, I said there were a few things I was up to, not all of which I could talk about. That's now changed. Here's a cut/paste from an email I received from Amazon this week.

Greetings, Amazon Publishing authors: 
We have some exciting news to share with you: Amazon Publishing has launched a new program – Kindle Worlds.  Kindle Worlds is the first commercial publishing platform that will enable any writer to create fan fiction based on a wide range of original stories and characters and earn royalties for doing so. As with Kindle Serials and Kindle Singles, we hope to open up new ways for authors to write and provide readers with an innovative way to experience great writing.
Amazon Publishing has secured licenses from Warner Bros. for Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars and Vampire Diaries, and plans to announce more licenses soon. Through these exclusive licenses, Kindle Worlds will allow writers everywhere to publish authorized stories inspired by these popular Worlds and make them available for readers to purchase in the Kindle Store. In June, the Kindle Worlds Store will launch and at that time, the Kindle Worlds Self-Service Submission Platform, where any writer can submit work, will also open. We encourage you to visit Kindle Worlds (www.amazon.com/kindleworlds) to learn more.

As part of this launch, Amazon asked fifty some odd authors back in March to write stories in one of the universes they had the rights to. Obviously, I was one of them. Sounded like fun, so I agreed.

I've written a 24,000 story set in the Vampire Diaries universe titled "A Cage of Burning Light". Amazon liked it, and once the official release date rolls around and it's available for purchase, I hope that all of you do too.

2 comments:

  1. Meggan McQuaidFriday, May 24, 2013

    L.J. That's very exciting news. I haven't written fanfic myself, but I have friends who do, and I know it can be just as challenging as world-building, if for different reasons. So, one, congrats on being asked to participate, and two, thanks for letting us know about it. I always look forward to seeing what you've come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. :) It's up now. I hope you enjoy it. It was definitely different to write.

      Delete